Friday, January 23, 2009

Lessons from The Shack

Jan. 23rd, 2009
Last night we had dinner with some friends of ours and good conversation. When we left my mind was racing, I am not exactly sure why, non the less it was racing, racing so much that I could not sit down and watch TV to relax. So I went to bed and felt like reading. I grabbed the nearest book. I believe that the Lord was patiently waiting for me to pick up this book again. I feel that there is so much in this book He wants me to learn and take to heart. So I got comfy in bed, found the place where I left off from and began reading. That is when it happened. The Lord drew near and followed along with me while I read. As I was reading I was suddenly feeling this book in my heart. I am not sure if I can explain how it felt, but I will give it a try. It was similar to the feeling you get when you have a vivid dream and then wake up from it and feel confused as to whether is was actually a dream or might have possibly happened in real life... the Lord I serve can do all things. I believe He has no limits and cares for me very much enough to bring a book into my life to better help explain and bring to life just how much He cares for me. This book is doing just that. Last night I learned first hand while (I believe) reading a book alongside my Heavenly Father.
(Chapter 10 of The Shack by WM Paul Young) Jesus takes Mack out to the edge of the dock and asks him to walk with Him. Mack hesitates when we realizes that Jesus wants him to walk out on the water with Him.... they begin to have a conversation about the past present and future and Jesus explains this (reminder that this is not scripture so it is not factual in any way it is a story of fiction, BUT this sat well with me and I personally feel this is pretty close to how Jesus thinks) that most people live in the past or the future and not the present. He (Jesus explains to Mack) dwells in the present. Although many things can be learned from the past and looking back but only for a short while not a long stay. Jesus tells Mack that the the future is most often dictated by fear of some kind, rarely if ever picturing Jesus along side.
I personally tend to live in the future. I am a planner. I like to know what is just around the corner so that I can be ready for whatever is coming good bad or otherwise. I want to be prepared and ready to take on anything and everything. I often sit and daydream about the future and plans that have been made, I go through all scenarios of what could happen and what I will do if they go wrong. This extensive planning is great when going camping or on a trip, but the rest of time it is not. I think the Lord was telling me that I am need to live in the present. I need to quit trying to save myself and my family and instead live in the future enjoying my family. The Lord shared with me to quite trying to take the reigns, once I pray and hand them over quit reaching over and taking them right back! Once we truly know how much the Lord loves us then we can believe and fully trust Him with our lives. I am slowly but surely learning JUST how much the Lord loves me. How much passion and concern He has for my life. Because of this new knowledge, my heart is that much more tender to the Lord and His will for my life. Learning that my ultimate calling at this point in my life is to be the best Mom and wife that I can be for my family. They are my passion and my goal, knowing that I am not in this alone but have the help of my Heavenly Father makes me that much more passionate and excited to "get to work" everyday! I love my life, I love my family and most importantly I love My Heavenly Father because He first loved ME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment