Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cont Missions Trip

















The first day (Friday) was all travel and camp set up. Jeff drove our Tahoe and Barry drove his Expedition and Mikes drove his parents Element. After loading the trailer we headed South to a Carl's Jr (our meeting point) just before the Mexico boarder. After grabbing lunch off we went into Mexico. Of course getting IN to Mexico was much simpler than leaving it... but it was still nerve racking (for me at least) the unknown was exciting and nerve racking. So off we drove East after crossing the boarder into and through Tijuana. These are some pictures from the vehicles. They live a much different lifestyle and concept of life in Tijuana. I couldn't have anything BUT respect for them and their way of life. Things we take for granted and would throw away with out EVER thinking if it could be used/recycled for another purpose.... they turn into wall for their homes and roofs for their home or "doors" for their bathrooms (outhouse style bathrooms) I gained so much respect for them and their ability to survive and manage in such less then standard conditions. About a 45 min drive from the boarder we arrived at our "home" for the weekend. We stayed at a compound. The group is called Amor, they have been running groups like ourselves in and out of their safely for the past 30 years, 16,000 some houses built. All through the local mexican pastors.(not missionaries)You can see their website for yourself at http://www.amor.org for more specifics on what they do. The camp/compound is a large lot of dirt. We arrived stretched our legs and set up camp... unfortunately it was 108 and WINDY so that was not as simple as it normally would be, but non the less it got done and we got conditioned to the heat quickly. I found myself very grateful to my Dad for being raised on camping and the outdoors. I was pleased (especially since I did not have my husband to rely on like most everyone else did) that I had put up a few tents in my short 25 years and the port-a-potty was no stranger to me... they were actually WAY nicer then any of them we are used when rafting back in Oregon. So I was feeling right at home and more in my element then I have since moving to California almost 4 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment